christmas-story-1983

 

Once upon a time in a veterinary surgery not so far away, the staff adorned the surgery with lots of Christmas treats for the Clients and animals travelling their way.
The staff scurried around decorating windows, putting up the Christmas tree and stringing up the lights.
Knowing that Christmas is a time of delight.
While they pondered twinkling lights and glittering decorations, they also know it brings dangers of food such as raisins.
So while placing the star up on top the tree, they compiled a list to prepare me and thee
Now each year the list grows and grows but the dangerous of poisoning everyone knows.

Chocolate– The higher the Cocoa content the higher the risk

Grapes, raisins, currants and sultanas including those found in Christmas cakes

Xylitol– is a naturally-occurring sugar alcohol found in small amounts in a variety of fruits and vegetables. However it is also extracted commercially and used as a sweetener in low carbohydrate and diabetic products. These products include, for example, baked goods such as cakes and biscuits, including some that may be eaten around Christmas time.

Onions, Garlic, Leeks, shallots, Chives– Beware of stuffing and onion gravy

Nuts, peanuts, macadamia– Take care with chocolate coated nuts too.

Lilies- Extremely toxic to cats causing irreversible kidney damage

Antifreeze– Ethylene glycol, even the smallest ingestion can cause death.

Traditional Christmas plants– Such as Holly, Ivy, Mistletoe and even Christmas tree pines. Poinsettia plants also cause irritation to the stomach and intestines of cats.
Don’t forget the risk of foreign bodies from bones, and tree decorations.