You should NEVER give a human drug to your pet.
Of course most drugs that are prescribed for animals by veterinarians are drugs that physicians prescribe for similar human ailments – but there are huge differences in the way that different species species of animal deal with a drug once it is their system.

Some drugs that are safe to use in humans are positively dangerous to give to pets and other animals. Even very small amounts can be extremely harmful or fatal to some pets.

A well known example of this is aspirin, which if given at human dose rates, can easily cause toxicity in both dogs and cats because they cannot detoxify and eliminate it from their bodies as quickly as humans can. The result is a severe gastroenteritis – which may cause them to vomit blood.
Ibuprofen is particularly poisonous to dogs and can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, gastric ulceration and kidney failure.

There are literally hundreds of examples of human prescription drugs which can cause toxicity to dogs, cats or other pets.
Other common medicines and so called social “drugs” which definitely should not be given by owners to their pets are:

– Paracetamol
– Ibuprofen
– The laxative phenolphthalein
– Iron supplements
– Vitamin D supplements
– Nebuliser medications prescribed for asthma
– Drugs used to control “fits” e.g. phenytoin (toxic in cats)
– Coffee and tea (due to the caffeine content)
– Cannabis or any other illegal drug.

NO human medication should be given to an animal. If your pet has an ailment please contact your vet for advice before giving any medication, no matter how safe you may think it is.

All of the above have been documented to cause serious illness – and are potentially fatal . The message is – NEVER assume what is safe for you and your children is safe for your pet – the chances are it isn’t.

For any more information please contact us on 01670 457271